This course provides an overview of the English legal system.
This course provides an overview of the key concepts of the English legal system. The topics covered in the module include:
– The UK Constitution;
– Law-making and authority;
– Judges and the courts;
– The court hierarchy;
– The distinction between criminal and civil law;
– The standard of proof in criminal and civil proceedings;
– The doctrine of the Separation of Powers;
– The doctrine of Parliamentary Sovereignty; and
– The ‘Rule of Law’.
By the end of this module, students shall have a good understanding about the English legal system, and more generally about the legal system adopted in common law jurisdictions.
Students completing this module shall receive a Certificate of Completion.
- 60 minutes of pre-recorded video lectures and 20 hours of research content.
- To provide students with an overview of the English legal system.
- To teach students about the bodies relevant to the English legal system.
- To teach students about the case law, doctrines, rules and principles applicable to the English legal system.
- 5 Multiple Choice Questions at the end of the module to test students’ knowledge of the topics covered.
The English Legal System
- Introductory Message
- English Legal System
- Lecture on English Legal System PART I: The UK Constitution; Law-making and Authority; Judges and the Courts; The Court Hierarchy.
- Lecture on English Legal System PART II: The Distinction between Criminal and Civil law; the Standard of Proof in Criminal and Civil Proceedings; the doctrine of the Separation of Powers; the Doctrine of Parliamentary Sovereignty; and the ‘Rule of Law’.
- The English Legal System Test Questions